Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Return of the Copyedits

They're baaacckk!

Not the same full-body check as last time, but here we are, four months from release, and we're still tweaking. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not bothered by this at all, and I'm pretty darn happy to have an editor who is this dedicated to making my book the best it can be. And the things caught are things I look at and think, "gee, why didn't we notice that earlier?" But that's how things go.

There are lots of reasons for this really. Revision smudge is the most common. Something got changed, and that affected something else that wasn't noticed until another read through. Or small details that stand out now that you've read the book eight times. (or more) Then there are the things that need fixing that are purely design related. Like too many hyphens in a row, or the word "the" stacked up on three separate lines. Did you know you had to rewrite to fix that stuff? Me neither. There's only so much you can do with kerning.*

I'm also waiting on edits from my UK editor (still fun to say), but the page proofs I just got look pretty cool design-wise. And totally different from the US version. (I'll do a longer post on US vs UK later).

While we're talking about edits, here are two fabulous posts on editing and revising. The Blood-Red Pencil and My VerboCity. Consider them my penance for a short post :)


*the space between the letters

6 comments:

  1. Four months... that's so soon! I pre-ordered it. Can't wait!

    Good luck to you and your editor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, Sarah, can't wait too. I need to read an excerpt. Janice's editor is just out to punish us :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. I didn't realize you could pre-order. I'll have to do that. I'll also have to make note of it over at my book review blog... not that I'll drive any traffic. I have like 1 subscribed member :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's incredibly awesome that HarperCollins UK picked up your book. They turned me down flat! I went into school the next day and sent an email to an English teacher there who's British. Has the accent and everything. Really. I cc'd it to the department chair because I'm teaching two sections of Brit Lit next year. Subject Line: I hate the Brits. I announced that I wanted to give away my Brit Lit sections. Not true of course. I'm a hardcore Anglophiliac! But my love did take a bit of a knock out of all that (especially since Bloomsbury turned me down, too.) The Department Chair wished upon them rainier than usual weather and no tea to be had. That helped a little. I'll get over it, but I'm thrilled for you. I'd love to know how they're changing the text.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys! I didn't know you had a blog, ColinF. You should post a link so we can all go say hello.

    Bummer, Amy :( I'll do a US vs UK post soon to talk about the subtle difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. RE: US vs. UK -- for what it's worth, ladies:

    Fantasy tends to travel more easily across the world. Alternate realities are universal; the the contemporary teen experience tends to be more culturally specific. I think too that the contemporary teen market in the US is richer and more sophisticated than in the UK, just my opinion...

    RE: manuscript clean-up -- yes, it happens! But no, I don't want to torture anyone -- and the book still releases on time, so go out and pre-order THE SHIFTER (and THE EVERAFTER!).

    ReplyDelete